[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: scale of FOSS projects

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed May 7 07:24:11 PDT 2008

Gilberto,

You made some very interesting observations. Allow me to respond to two (2) of them:

You wrote: "By contrast, OGC has reduced the motivation for innovation in issues such as spatial analysis, raster-based GIS, semantics, visualization, interfaces, and spatio-temporal models."

I am no fan of the OGC, but I am curious how they have reduced motivation in these areas.

You wrote: " Our current dilemma is that almost all FOSS4G products are
focused on OGC-compliance. This reduces the potential for
innovation and generates very similar products."

I'm not sure how true this is with other projects, but at OpenJUMP I would say we most programmers and users aren't worried about OGC standards at all. Maybe this is the difference between FOSS4G project that develop a library, like GeoTools or deegree, and FOSS4G projects that develop an end-user program, like OpenJUMP.

I'm beginning to realize that standards, especially for the design of software components, can be over rated. What really matters, at least in my experience, is open file formats. It's much easier to share data than it is software architecture. Look at all the Java GIS programs we have that can even share a Shapefile reader/writer. :]

Landon