[OSGeo-Discuss] scale of FOSS projects

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Thu May 8 14:44:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 12:03 +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Yes it does. Karl Fogel describes it very well in his book
> (http://producingoss.com). I strongly recommend it to project leaders
> and developers who maintain just-opened and want to get dirty with
> principles of the FOSS world.

One important point that Fogel makes that I think is worth noting here
is that the number-one sine-qua-non of *any* potentially successful
software project is *shipping working code*.

Until a developer does that, the discussion of whether or not his/her
project needs or deserves institutional/organizational support to
succeed further is moot.

SDE