[OSGeo-Discuss] scale of FOSS projects

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:14:40 PDT 2008

On 5/8/08, Schuyler Erle <schuyler at nocat.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 12:03 +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>  > Yes it does. Karl Fogel describes it very well in his book
>  > (http://producingoss.com). I strongly recommend it to project leaders
>  > and developers who maintain just-opened and want to get dirty with
>  > principles of the FOSS world.
>

> One important point that Fogel makes that I think is worth noting here
>  is that the number-one sine-qua-non of *any* potentially successful
>  software project is *shipping working code*.
>
>  Until a developer does that, the discussion of whether or not his/her
>  project needs or deserves institutional/organizational support to
>  succeed further is moot.

Steve Coast (OSM) echoed the same sentiment very elegantly -- "Real
artists ship. For everyone else, there is wanking."

After a short hesitation, I have really come to appreciate it. Yup,
unless there is working code, everything else -- sponsorships,
organization, standards, committees, mailing lists -- is pointless.

Smart guy, that Coast.