[OSGeo-Discuss] scale of FOSS projects

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu May 8 20:29:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 21:28 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> > Or, to quote the IETF, "rough consensus and running code".
> >
> Except that the reference is to the informal criteria for when one might
> even beginning to firm up a standard.  In the IETF community - unlike
> pretty much every other standards body on the planet - there's a pretty
> strong insistence that there are multiple implementations of something,
> that  an talk to each other, before even thinking about pinning down
> anything that looks like a standard.

IMHO standards are just a fancy way of documenting the solution.  Until
you've build the solution, you don't understand the problem properly
[1].  If you try and write your standard while your understanding of the
solution space is underdeveloped, you'll end up with a pile of shite.

Development is relatively fast and cheap, whilst standards are slow and
expensive.  Start with required outcomes, develop the solution, then
document or "standardise" the solution.  Put them in the wrong order,
and you'll cripple both the solution and standard.

[1] ESR explains it better than I can in catb: lesson 3 in
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s02.html.

Regards,
Tim Bowden