[OSGeo-Discuss] scale of FOSS projects

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 9 07:28:51 PDT 2008

> ""Real artists ship. For everyone else, there is wanking."

Folks,

For the record, while I acknowledge a kernel of truth in this, I find the
statement so elitist and dismissive of the varied efforts that it takes to
make things work that I cringe every time I hear it.

Discussion, conferences, standards, coordination, etc all play an important
role in making a software ecosystem useful.  If there is a lesson, it may be
that these other things shouldn't become so all consuming that they prevent
actually producing useful software.

Needless to say, by the standard of this statement I'm a wanker for bothering
to point this out, and you folks are all wankers for repeating SteveC's
bon mot.

Best regards,