[OSGeo-Discuss] [Fwd: [DebianGIS] Freezing is not so far in the future, aka Where 1.0]

Bruce Bannerman bruce at bannerman.id.au
Tue May 13 05:14:05 PDT 2008

FYI.

As many of you know, the DebianGIS project is packaging a large number
of Open Source spatial apps for use within the Debian Linux
distribution.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis

IMO, Debian is one of the key Linux distributions. From memory around
50% of distributions are derived from it (including Ubuntu). It has a
reputation for stability.

As well as Debian, the Debian derivitives and other Linux distributions
can also use the DebianGIS repositories.

As such the DebianGIS packages that Frankie and the DebianGIS project
members are preparing for Debian have relevance for a significant
portion of the Linux community.

From Frankie's email below it appears that Debian will soon be freezing
packages in preparation for the next stable version of Debian due out
later this year.

I'm sure that the DebianGIS team would welcome help from other
developers if you're able to spare the time.

Bruce Bannerman