[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Wed May 14 13:50:21 PDT 2008

I'm not looking to start a debate, but...

>> We call on all governments to:
>>
>>   1. Procure only information technology that implements free and
open standards;
>>   2. Deliver e-government services based exclusively on free and open
standards;
>>   3. Use only free and open digital standards in their own
activities.

I'm certainly sympathetic to the desires this declaration seems to
express, but this seems to go too far by using words like "only" and
"exclusively".

There are undoubtedly cases where extant open standards are not as
mature, stable, featureful, mission-safe, etc, as the relevant
proprietary solutions, and so as a pragmatic matter governments must
rely on the proprietary works in those cases.

-mpg