[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu May 15 10:06:37 PDT 2008

James wrote: " My point isn't that .doc is a good format, but it is
readily available to read in many software packages (some very free and
open)."

In this sense .doc is a lot like .dwg files. It's use is pervasive, but
there is no published spec. That is one thing that really makes ESRI
Shapefiles stand out from the crowd. As soon as ESRI published the spec
for Shapefiles it was easy for them to become universal.

I won't comment on the .doc topic, but I will say that I believe
Autodesk has vehemently guarded the .dwg format to maintain a monopoly.
I suppose you could argue the same thing of Microsoft. I will point out
one important difference between .dwg and .doc, however. Autodesk does
publish the spec for the DXF format. There isn't a whole terrible lot
that you can transfer with a DXF that you can with a DWG. I don't think
rtf or .txt come even close to .doc.

Landon