[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Sign the Hague declaration

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Thu May 15 10:09:35 PDT 2008

Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> [080515]:
> I thought it might be wise to point out that this discussion seems to be
> getting a little aggressive, and possibly a little personal.
>
> All sides have made valid points. It's obvious that Mr. Fee isn't going
> to agree with many of us on this particular issue, and his opinion is
> worth considering.
>
> I would remind Mr. Fee, very humbly (of course), that he is on the OSGeo
> mailing list, so in some respects he's chosen a fight in which he is
> very outnumbered. I don't know how productive it is to aggressively
> defend something like the .doc format on a mailing list for proponents
> of open source software. :]
>
> You'll probably have about as much success as you would touting the .odt
> format on a mailing list for the Microsoft Word fan club. :]
>
> Landon

How do you measure the 'less' software here?

The only application that reads 100% proprietary file formats is the
application that goes with it.

And by saying "readable by less software than the proprietary formats",
it is true that HTML has less application support then DOC.

> consultants to install, train and debug "open" solutions. What a
> complete waste of everyone's time.

I preper that my tax-payer money goes into the pocket of a local service
then in the bank account of a company who controls the DOC format.

> Sharing of data happens because the system at large demands that it
> happens, not because a couple of folks sign some non-binding document on
> the internet.

You know you have more and more "Folks on the internet".

And sharing data happens because we have data networks we did not had
before.

The internet and email makes that you will receive soon *.docx files
from your friends, with nice macro extensions you won't be able to
decode because you did not buy software XYZ.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403