[OSGeo-Discuss] on Google Code and export restrictions

Miguel Montesinos mmontesinos at prodevelop.es
Mon May 26 09:06:55 PDT 2008

Hi Jo,

the issue has been eagerly discussed in gvSIG and OSGeo Spanish mailing lists. The matter arised as no alternate download site was available for stable versions of Sextante project.

I think that googlecode.com is subject to certain regulations, as many other similar sites, and they cannot get round them.

There have been some way to go round similar problems, as sb. told in gvSIG user list [1] for Debian case.

IMO, the point is not to set-up alternative sites, but to promote the use of fully accesible sites, with no restrictions depending on where you live.

The shock around the issue with the Cuban guy, was that nobody in Sextante, nor gvSIG project had realized that the restriction was in force (yes, for sure nobody fully read the legal bla bla). I think that maybe there are many other similar cases.

So my suggestion is to check the universal availability of Free and Open Source Code promoted by OSGeo. Maybe another check in the incubation checklist?

I know this is a thorny question, that maybe does not affect almost all of this list's subscribers, but we must avoid unfairness, regardless of where we live.

Regards,

[1] http://www.debian.org/mirror/list-non-US

Miguel Montesinos