[OSGeo-Discuss] on Google Code and export restrictions

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue May 27 07:07:28 PDT 2008

It certainly looks like the folks at Apache have done a great job being
proactive on this particular topic. They've even assigned most of their
projects an ECCN, whatever that is:

http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/do_i_needaneccn.html

I wonder if it would be best to handle the export policy/compliance with
US law or other bodies of law on a case-by-case basis, in the context of
a broader policy like the one used by Apache.

I would even suggest that we have a representative of the OSGeo contact
the BIS or other interested agencies to clarify exactly what their
concerns with our organization might be, and what our responsibilities
are under the law. We may be surprised at how helpful they are.

Maybe it's overkill, but I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to have
a committee that handles compliance with US and international law. It
might also be worth sending an e-mail to the Software Conservancy to see
if they could offer free legal services to the OSGeo in this regard.

http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/

Landon