[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source development metrics

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Wed May 28 16:40:01 PDT 2008

IMO:

Thanks Landon and Puneet,

In this case, I tend to agree with Jeroen.

There is a community developing GeoNetwork (and other projects) with
ongoing work occuring.

This would be occurring concurrently with our development work on a fork.

We would want to be able to take advantage of the new developments that
others make to the parent project, without having to refactor our 'fork'
each time, or conversly, the additional work of refactoring our
customisations, or part there of back to the parent project.

We (the Australian ANZLIC community) have tried this approach already with
the GeoNetwork ANZLIC Profile, and it is clearly not working (despite
might I add the outstanding efforts of the main developer).

I think that the only sane approach is to work within the parent project's
community as peer participants.

I do agree with Puneet that the *ability* to fork a project is critical to
the success of open source projects, however I think that it should really
only be used as a last resort if a situation is clearly unsalvagable.
There is too much dilution of effort otherwise.

Bruce Bannerman