[Aust-NZ] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source development metrics

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Wed May 28 16:42:43 PDT 2008

IMO:

Thank you for the insights Jody.

You have made some excellent suggestions that we as an OSGeo-AustNZ /
ANZLIC community can build on.

Bruce

Jody Garnett <jgarnett at refractions.net>
Sent by: aust-nz-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
29/05/2008 08:15 AM

OSGeo Discussions <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
cc
Aust-NZ OSGeo <Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> However this is probably unrealistic  as to do this the developer will
> have to have existing credibility within the community and there may
> be good reasons why the community does not want to have 'product X'
> included.
So start slow with some metrics reflecting getting involved in the
community and making contacts.
> Does anyone have any examples that they use or thoughts on the above?
> I do understand that metrics can be abused, may be meaningless and may
> not be the best way to handle this, however we have to start somewhere.
What a hard question ...

Try for a couple of the metrics you use when evaluating open source
projects:
- open development; what is their level of involvement on a scale of
learning, helping, submitting patches, commit access, responsibility,
responsibility
- documentation and help (assume number of pages written/edited; or
number of questions answered on the user list)
- quality assurance: number of test cases produced
- number of patches submitted, or number of bugs depending on level of
involvement... consider putting this on a scale so long standing bugs
are worth more :-)
- frequency of release (number of releases the employee assisted with
via either tagging and packaging, testing; announcing etc...)
- etc...

I recommend approaching the specific communities you wish to be involved
in and asking where help is needed.
> We have a window of opportunity to get some more developers working on
> OS projects as the Performance Planning cycle re-starts shortly and
> I'd like to help our developers get some constructive ideas to take
> into their sessions.
Cheers,
Jody

Notice: