[OSGeo-Discuss] South African safety situation

Paulo Marcondes paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Fri May 30 07:14:16 PDT 2008

2008/5/30 Lucena, Ivan <ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com>:

> Gavin,
>
> My South Africans friends here in the US and I are deeply concern about
> that situation too. I just wanted to add that thanks to economic growth and
> social reforms, Brazil is now a moving target on what concern wealth
> concentration index. Brazilian business, factories and agriculture are
> investing now in Africa. I hope that Word Cup, tourism, conferences and
> other business could bring more opportunities to South African of all
> ethnicity and that will result in peace and prosperity.

Gavin and Ivan,

The last 14 years have been extremely profitable for banks and financial
investors. So, I an quite pessimist regarding wealth distribution.
Also, there are some concerns regarding the political climate here. Many
seem it as getting more and more unfriendly to private property and civil
liberties.

For instance, what you call realID is a reality here since unremembered
times, and that is also a police issued document. No one seems to give a
rat's ass about that.

talk about police state... we are far more down that road than the US, or
even the UK, AFAIK.
The only thing we don't have so far is a no-fly list.

the cup is half empty,
--
Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
-22.915 -42.224 = GG86jc