[OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone interested in geocoding and routing?

(Orkney)Toru Mori moritoru at orkney.co.jp
Wed Nov 12 01:22:39 PST 2008

Steve,

I totally agree to your opinion. We can have a standard framework and we
may call it "OSgeo international geocoding framework", not "geocoder".

Everybody would love concept of GDAL/OGR, however, geocoder will have
deferent story.

In my experience of working for a U.S. based GIS company which has global
operations, an international geocoder was always requested by customers.
The company developed geocoders of U.S., Canada, England, Western part of
Europe and Australia. However, they are not really unified. Even they have
similar address systems, the U.S. engine couldn't handle other regions
instantly.

Regarding Japan, Korea and China, they have unique address systems each,
so even normalization of inbound address data process did not work with
one algorithm. Geocoder always works with data. Address data and system
are made based on each local culture and history.

I won't discourage that we try to have an open geocoder at all.
Just want to avoid possible misunderstanding on this list that "i18n"
geocoder can be a snap.

Mori