[OSGeo-Discuss] The state of WMS tile caching

Gilles Bassière gilles.bassiere at makina-corpus.com
Wed Nov 26 03:46:48 PST 2008

I was recently confronted to the same problem. I needed a cached WMS,
although on some occasion I would need to perform untiled map requests.
Of course, it would have been much easier to send tiled and untiled
request to a single front server.

My idea was to hack TileCache. Indeed, TileCache already has WMS request
support et grid calculation and cache and so on. When the requested
extent/size does not match the tile grid, TileCache returns an error. I
guess it would be possible to catch this error. Then, instead of
returning the error to the client, it should be possible to forward the
request to the rendering back-end and return the resulting image to the
client (without storing it in the cache). I'm not sure whether this
could be possible with all back-end. I did not think of performance
either. But I think that could be a solution for someone needing
seamless map caching.

For some reasons we did not implement this idea. The main problem was
the lack of support for GetFeatureInfo in TileCache. I'm now thinking of
some kind of integration of TileCache within the OGCserver (part of the
Mapnik project). It is still a rough idea and, unfortunately, I don't
have any time to work on it. Moreover, I doubt if it's reasonable to mix
WMS with TMS-based cache. Of course, TMS-based cache is incredibly
efficient but it also impose the grid parameters to the client. In my
opinion it is an important restriction that reduce interoperability.
With such restrictions, it may not be possible to feed OpenLayers with
WMS-C stream coming from different servers.

I'm a bit surprised because standard-compliance is an important part of
this thread but the OGC discussion paper about tiled WMS was not
mentioned (see http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wms). The paper
is more than 1-year old now, does anybody know if there is ongoing work
or if it could become an implement specification soon? An important
point discussed in the paper is about describing the tile grid so that
an arbitrary client can build a valid request.

Regards
Gilles