[OSGeo-Discuss] Successful FOSS4G use case needed especially in government sector

Sanghee Shin endofcap at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:01:10 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm Sanghee Shin from Seoul, Korea. I hope somebody remember me. I presented
activities of OSGeo Korean language L.C. to you at AGM this conference.

Anyway.. I was invited to a national research institute(KRIHS) in Korea
which supports policy making of Korean central government a month ago. There
I presented what is FOSS4G and how can it be used in government sector. The
mood was very good and they showed much interest in FOSS4G at that time.

However, frankly to say, almost all the Korean GIS market - especially in
government sector -  have beent dominated by proprietary s/w yet and KRISH
don't have enough courage to persuade central government to use FOSS4G at
this point. KRISH still have uncertainty and doubt on FOSS4G.

After coming back to my seat in my office from Cape Town, I got a phone call
from KRISH researcher. She said that she wanted to include those successful
case of FOSS4G use in another government into their report which should be
submitted to Korean central government. She added that FOSS4G could be a
good option for Korean government's next gis project. Since KRISH didn't
know much about FOSS4G in real case, they needed true proven case of FOSS4G
use in government sector.

Therefore I'm writting a letter to you to request your help. Please let me
know any successful case of FOSS4G in your country. Web site, implementation
history, your experiences... and kinds of materials will be useful to me.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
Sanghee Shin
p.s. ) To market FOSS4G, how about creating a wiki page to collect those