[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G LiveCD

Marco Lechner marco.lechner at geographie.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Oct 9 03:04:42 EDT 2008

Hi LiveDVD-Builder,

I'm very happy that the concept of live-images also hit
FOSS4G-conference. FOSSGIS e.V. (formerly known as GAV e.V.), who will
(hopefully) be the institutional form of local chapter DACH soon,
startet using live-images about 2 years ago. At the german language
conference "FOSSGIS" in April we used live-images to provide all the
workshop-notebooks using PXE-boot with individual liveimages booting at
the beginning of a workshop. A list of the held workshops (sorry only in
german, but the projectnames are uni anyway) can be found on this page:
http://fossgis.osgeo.net/wiki/Workshops_2008 and show which applications
we already integrated in a liveimage.
Right now our "flagship" is GISlivePE, a LiveDVD providing very recent
developer snapshots of QGIS and GRASS. Our most recent PE-version
(preview edition) produced for the Intergeo 2008
(http://www.intergeo.de/2008_en/englisch/index.php) got the developer
snapshots from 09/24/2008. (For download see
http://www.gav-ev.de/gislive/download/).
We are already thinking about a VE (variety edition) to provide the big
variety of FOSS GIS-Software and Data including most (if possible all)
of the OSGeo projects and may be some more (josm, openJUMP, Geoserver,
...) on a more stable basis - we are using Debians live-helper system.

I think providing (may be including localisations and editions)
livesystems under the roof of OSGeo could have a very good PR-effect.

Marco