[OSGeo-Discuss] some post-FOSS4G thoughts

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Oct 9 14:57:49 EDT 2008

On Tue, October 7, 2008 21:16, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Landon Blake wrote:
>
>> When I think about the possibility of setting up a local or regional
>> conference I get a little scared about the unknowns. How do you go about
>>  locating conference space? Do you approach local hotels and motels
>> about discount rooming rates?
>>
>> Would it be possible to have a way for the FOSS4G conference folks
>> assist a chapter interested in a regional conference?
>
> Landon,
>

> Good question.  I think Arnulf raised the suggestion that it would be
> good to have some "how to hold a mini-conference" materials in the wiki.
>
> I would suggest that local/regional conference aim for a more modest
> presence than FOSS4G.  In particular look for inexpensive space to hold it.
> Often universities are cooperative in this regard if there are
> some FOSS4G friendly faculty.  Universities also often have computer labs
> available if you want to try and do some hands on workshops.
>
> Also, ensure you have at least 3-4 local volunteers willing to help
> make arrangements. If it all falls on one person it can be a very heavy
> load.  Ideally you would have more folks as part of a local chapter who
> would like to help.
>
> You will also want to be sure you have enough speakers to provide a
> useful event.  Best to get some respectible ones committed early.
>
> Sometimes it is helpful to arrange smaller conferences just before or
> after some other GIS event to take advantage of folks existing travel
> arrangements.  If you do this though you may need some good lead time.
>
> It can be helpful to have some sponsorship to fund food, facilities, and
> such.  In the OSBootCamp/GeoCamp event here in Ottawa we did not require
> attendies to register and pay (due to support for the food from sponsors,
>  and the university for facilities).  The downside of that was it was
> very hard to work out how many people were likely to show up, and there
> was no attendie list for future contact.  So I'd suggest requiring
> registration, and getting contact info, even if the registration is
> relatively modest (ie. 100 local currency units).
>

> As an alternative to a stand-alone event, it can also be helpful to
> work with an existing GIS conference organizer to provide an "open source
> track" or something similar.
>
> Best regards,

This is all good stuff that should be added to the Wiki and get
consolidated there. Would the Conference Committee be interested in
setting up and maintaining a Wiki page on this respect? Well, lets say:
the Conference Committee should be highly prepared to set up and maintain
a Wiki page on how to organize a local meeting / conference or piggy pack
on another event.

Best regards,
Arnulf