[OSGeo-Discuss] some post-FOSS4G thoughts

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Oct 17 18:22:11 EDT 2008

On 9-Oct-08, at 11:49 AM, Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

> Instead of despairing or
> complaining - why don't you start your own meeting? Whatever it is -
> ranging from meeting in a pub to full fledged conferences with 500+
> attendees - is better than nothing. Try to not compete with "FOSS4G
> - The
> Gobal Meeting of the Tribes" but complement this event, either
> regionally,
> language-wise or by tastes of beer. The simple magic that gets you
> going
> is to connect with your peers and then DIY. If you think that OSGeo
> can
> help - ask for it.

I agree, and for those who might not be aware, this is similar to
what is happening already.  In areas where local chapters are not
running, it must still feel a bit lonely - hopefully this list can
help that.  But in other places where the chapters are active, they
are charging ahead preparing great local events.  There are so many
things happening that it's hard to keep up with all the activity :)

Hope that's encouraging,
Tyler