[OSGeo-Discuss] Can we use a LiveDVD for workshops and labs at FOSS4G 2009?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:51:38 EDT 2008

Sounds like we need windows to support MapWindow, any others?
I'm expecting at least half the 2009 conference attendees will come from
agencies where the only desktop operating system is windows based, so it
will be beneficial to show GeoFOSS working in their environment.

I expect that we will have at least one computer room set up with the
following.
graeme mcferren wrote:
> <snip>
> MS4W, OSGeo4W, PostGIS, Java, Tomcat, Firefox, Google Earth covered a
> lot of bases and were all easy to install and work with on Win XP.

For potential instructors, would you prefer to demonstrate from a Linux
based liveDVD or windows?
What do you need on the LiveDVD?
Do you see your project being able to commit resources to package itself
onto the LiveDVD?
How do you feel about putting your tutorials on the LiveDVD under an
Open License? (I'm expecting a mixed reaction to this so I'm hoping to
get any issues out early)

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect