[OSGeo-Discuss] kicked the ESRI habit,now weening from Bentley MicroStation..looking toward FOSS4G

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Oct 29 12:12:53 EDT 2008

Markus,

What's all that stuff in there about managed and un-managed supposed to describe?  Seems to be somewhat out of date.  I think I would start over with the whole bottom section.

Another thing with this page is, I wouldn't feel comfortable goin g in there and changing anything without knowing the details about each package listed.  I think a different approach is needed that reflects each package more directly.  I'm involved in the GeoMoose project for Example, which is a WebFront for MapServer ( and will be using OpenLayers LIBs in the near future as well).   I would prefer to describe each package separately along with how they interact.  Possibly as a spreadsheet to begin with.

Is this approariate for this page, or in some other ??

Thanks

bobb

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Judit Mays <mays at lat-lon.de> wrote:
> pyroGIS schrieb:
>> Fellow listers,
>>
>> Where I'm wondering about going next is down
>> the whole Web Mapping road. What are your opinions on GeoServer vs.
>> MapServer vs. OpenLayers? Those seem to get the most love from the OS
>> community ... should I skip worldKit? what about deegree?
>>

> Hello Joe,
> if you are interested in a large community you might find MapServer and
> GeoServer more appealing than deegree. I can't say much more about the
> first two, as I've never used either. But there has been a presentation
> comparing GeoServer and MapServer at the last FOSS4G. You will probably
> find the slides online.

Suggestion - what about getting this page updated with comments
from this thread:
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Choosing_a_Web_Mapping_Platform

Don't hesitate to modify the Wiki page!

Cheers,