[OSGeo-Discuss] Raster data on RDBMS

Sylvan Ascent Inc. sylvanascent at mail2web.net
Wed Oct 29 12:14:51 EDT 2008

Hi Frank,
I'm not sure I completely agree about your apples/oranges, here's why:

We are in the process of putting together a big raster server, so I'm evaluating the best way to proceed. I'm quite familiar with putting raster tiles in a database, did that way back in the last century. I've decided to use Geoserver, since we need (want)  WFS-T and WCS, and the latest speed race between MapServer and GeoServer seems to be a tie more or less.

As I see it we have several options:

1) Put the big original raster images in back of Geoserver, access using their Mosaic and the GDAL based ImageIO-ext.
Advantage - easy, but kind of slow.

2) Take the originals and build a file-based pyramid
Advantage - faster, but a lot of work, plus duplication and tricky to keep updated as new data comes in.

3) Take the originals and build a PostGIS based pyramid.
Likely, about the same as 3 in speed and work and duplication.

4) Do 1, but put a pyramiding tileserver in front. It builds the pyrimid in 2 and 3 over time, and is likely the fastest if you hit the cache, and is no harder to do than #1.

I think, that since the goal of all this storage of pyramids and the like is just to get speed, that they aren't apples/oranges, but apples apples, since they are both pyramid schemes, just in different places, either in front, or in back of the server.

Roger Bedell, President Sylvan Ascent Inc.
800-362-8971
+34 626 855 662
roger at sylvanascent.com <mailto:roger at sylvanascent.com>
www.sylvanascent.com <http://www.sylvanascent.com/>