[OSGeo-Discuss] Raster data on RDBMS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 12:37:06 EDT 2008

Sylvan Ascent Inc. wrote:
> I think, that since the goal of all this storage of pyramids and the like is
> just to get speed, that they aren't apples/oranges, but apples apples, since
> they are both pyramid schemes, just in different places, either in front, or
> in back of the server.

Roger,

My point is that a tile caching approach is really comparing tile caching
performance to rendering-on-demand performance while I think the original
point was that rendering-from-database and rendering-from-filesystem could
have similar performance for input raster data.

Your comparison is also of interest but I don't think it is fair to compare
rendering from Oracle through MapServer (or GeoServer) to satisfying
map requests directly from a tile cache.

Best regards,