[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 22, Issue 14

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Oct 9 19:01:33 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 10:10 -0400, Laura Toma wrote:
> Not really.  A regional event would lower travel time and travel
> expense, and could offer a balanced spread of  accommodations.
>

> -Laura

Only if you accept that most of the community won't be there.  The idea
of FOSS4G is that it is the gathering of the tribes.  No matter what,
that means significant travel for a large portion of attendees no matter
where you hold it.  Regional gatherings can reduce the cost of attending
*some sort of FOSS event*, but it won't be the gathering of the tribes.
If you want to got to that, you'll either have to pay big or wait till
it comes back to your part of the world then go cheaply.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.