[OSGeo-Discuss] Code Sprint: How Much?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 10 05:25:47 PDT 2008

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
>
>> The downside of the Bolsena event, in my mind, is that it puts the entire
>> financial onus on the attendies.  For some that is pretty tough.  I'd
>> prefer to see an event that could be mostly paid out of project sponsorship
>> funds (from projects like MapServer, and GDAL) with the attendies providing
>> their time and labor.
>
> I think this is a very sensible suggestion. Can we work out a budget and
> an expected outcome for this? This way it may be more attractive for
> potential sponsors. I know the plone tribe organizes regularly such
> events, and they have no major problems getting sponsors.
> Of course, Italy is a very hospitable place in all seasons, and we can
> find additional cheap and good places for this.

Paolo,

Note, I was suggesting drawing on the existing project sponsorship program
rather than a sprint specific funding and sponsorship effort.  In the case
of GDAL it is already operating a project sponsorship program and has
funds available that it's PSC could choose to use in this fashion.

Currently there are no other OSGeo projects officially participating in the
project sponsorship program so my idea is somewhat hypothetical.  I do think
there are several other projects that would be good candidates for the
project sponsorship - for instance MapServer.

Best regards,