[OSGeo-Discuss] Incubator Sponsor idea.

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Fri Sep 12 13:17:20 EDT 2008

Hi Bob; you will find that a few of the open source projects nurture new
talent this way.

The GeoTools library has the facilities in place to allow new developers
to come online and start an "unsupported" module with the support of the
community. Each module in GeoTools is an entire project (often making
use of the same interfaces and so forth).  When a module meets the QA
requirements it can be included in the GeoTools download for the general
public.

Is this what you had in mind?

I understand that some something similar to Jakarta is often requested
from the OSGeo foundation. Thus far the incubation committee has been
really focused on getting existing projects through our incubation
process (and defining what the expectations are for such projects).

Jody