[OSGeo-Discuss] This List

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 14:13:37 EDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> OK, I take it back, news_item appears to be working. More to the
> point, discuss@ is referred to as sort of a tribune of the people on
> occasion ("let's ask discuss!") when really it's sort of a private
> club.

Paul,

The OSGeo "Getting Started" page (from the home page) at:

   http://www.osgeo.org/content/faq/getting_started.html

suggests joining the discuss list (oddly under "Get Oriented - FAQ").

The OSGeo Mailing Lists topic (from the OSGeo Community left bar) encourages
people to join the discuss list:

   http://www.osgeo.org/content/faq/mailing_lists.html

I think the list is reasonably well advertised.

You are correct that this list is sometimes used as the forum we go for
informal feedback on ideas, or to try and mobilize volunteers for some
effort.  My goal is that the minimum subscription for someone interested
in OSGeo should be our announce list, and the discuss list would let people
step up to a higher degree of involvement (and email traffic).

Best regards,