[OSGeo-Discuss] The existence (and value of) "clean" geocoding tools?

David Dearing ddearing at stottlerhenke.com
Mon Sep 29 18:38:36 EDT 2008

Thanks for the good variety of responses!

Certainly there is no way to perfectly automate geocoding.  That's just
a very hard problem and, as Stephen mentioned, there are so many
possible spelling/formatting differences that it's impossible to plan
for every case.

Although, to steer this away from the "where is a good geocoding engine"
line of thought, I am curious of the use of these systems.  I think we
all agree that current systems do not reach, as I termed it, "clean"
geocoding of a document.  Does this cause a problem for the applications
of the geocoded data?  I'm not very familiar with the traditional uses
of these systems.  Does it need to be manually corrected or are the
applications happy with "pretty good"?

dave