[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G LiveCD

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Sep 9 23:44:09 PDT 2008

Mark Leslie wrote:
> Alex Mandel wrote:
>> Mark Leslie wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> We at LISAsoft are in the process of setting up a Live CD.  While the
>>> ultimate goal is a 'comprehensive' version by FOSS4G2009, we're starting
>>> with a fairly short java-centric stack of software in order to get the
>>> details worked out and get something out the door soon.  Our goal is to
>>> have a cut available next week, with something polished by the 22nd,
>>> hopefully leaving enough time before Capetown for anyone interested to
>>> get some copies burned.
>>> So I suppose my first question is, is anybody interested in having a
>>> copy of this CD?  Is there somewhere appropriate we could upload an image?
>>>

>> How does this LiveCD differ from the Ominiverde one put out in August?
>>
>> +1 that you post it somewhere.
>> Alex

> And no sooner have I replied than I've found the list of software on the
> Ominiverdi product, so now I can comment.
>
> Our livecd is starting with a focus on the java stack, mostly because
> that's where more of our experience lies.  I certainly hope java is just
> the starting point, but time will tell.

I'm curious if the two efforts could be done in tandem to offer a full
selection. What distro did you base your LiveCD on?

The Ominiverdi is based on Xubuntu which I imagine is using the repo
versions of many packages (easy to maintain and upgrade) and being as it
came out last month seems recent enough to me.

If that could be combined with the Java stack I think that would be
extremely useful and help to keep the Debian/Ubuntu packages up to date.
Java always seems to be a little behind.

I'm excited to take it for a spin later this month,
Alex