[OSGeo-Discuss] Generic Geometry Library (ggl)

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:37:55 EDT 2009

> It is a pleasure for us to announce the Generic Geometry Library (ggl).

Welcome. I think the questions have already been asked about the
relationship with GEOS and JTS; sounds like you are going after
increased performance?

> Because of this the library is following OGC conventions loosely, not
> strictly. All algorithms are implemented as standalone functions, instead of
> methods on geometries. Nevertheless, OGC conventions, names and meanings are
> followed as much as possible. Not all OGC algorithms are already
> implemented. On the other hand the library offers other things such as
> distance calculations over the globe.

I had a quick look; it appears as if WKT and the "simple feature"
abstractions for geoemetry is in use. The OGC appears to have moved on
from these ideas in GML3 (making use of ISO19107 etc). If this library
is just starting out perhaps it could line up with some of the
excellent work done on the GeoAPI project to break these down into
classes.

Jody