[OSGeo-Discuss] Wiki Upkeep - Orphaned Pages

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Apr 21 17:43:33 EDT 2009

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Alex Mandel
> <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>> So looking around there a few things that could use some work on the
>> wiki and are easy enough for any community member to help with.
>>
>> 1. We have 327 Orphaned Pages, these are pages that exist but that no
>> other page links to. Which means no one is likely to ever find them or
>> their useful content.
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Special:LonelyPages&limit=500&offset=0
>
> Alex, not sure how this works, e.g.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Cascadoss_Symposium_2008
> is indexed like that but that's a legal page about a past
> event (where we participated).
> I consider it a bug if a valid category isn't sufficient to get
> a page not be marked as orphaned. Making artificial links
> elsewhere doesn't make sense to me - any opinion how to
> deal with this phenomenon?

Markus,

I think the point is that there is no way to navigate to that page. It's
fine if an external site links to it because it is a valid page. I think
the point is that maybe we should have a page like "OSGeo Events" off
the front page that then links to say a past events page and collects
all the pages about past events.

This has the benefit that:

1) if I don't know the URL, but I'm searching for events I might find it
2) search engines that start at the front page will index it
etc

-Steve W