[OSGeo-Discuss] FW: Can you help spread work to any FOSS developers you know

Brian Russo brian at beruna.org
Thu Apr 9 19:46:08 PDT 2009

One thing I've noticed that has even got me into rather heated
discussions about F/OSS geo software is .. how to put this delicately?

Basically, most technical people are lousy at communicating
requirements and demonstrating capabilities to end-users & decision
makers.

The F/OSS geo community is no different overall in this. Many (I'd say
most) developers focus overwhelmingly on technical details - and do
not appreciate the need to "sell" the application, and tweak their
presentation to the organizational/cultural issues that differ between
the two worlds, as it were. The notion that a company or agency might
spend $2k on a simple web calendar app seems incredibly stupid and
bizarre to them (and well.. it probably is) - but if said company
doesn't KNOW of a good alternative - and they need a calendar NOW -
then it's logical from there perspective to pay someone to do it.

This isn't the developer's fault - it's just that quite often there's
nobody else to pitch the product for them. And further since it's free
they may not understand WHY it should need a pitch. Their attitude
is.. It's free, It's open source.. It can do what you want.. why
aren't you using it?

Don't get me wrong, by no means am I picking on everyone. I'll pick on
Dane Springmeyer of Mapnik and point out what a great job he does
bridging the gap between development and actually talking to people
and understanding what they want to do in an enthusiastic way - but
not all projects have someone like this, which is why you see some
incredibly good code simply rot because the developer built it, tossed
it up somewhere, but didn't get a lot of people using it and didn't
communicate their idea well to the relevant decisionmakers/users in a
manner they understand. In other words - many F/OSS people suck at
marketing. No different from a lot of devs in the commercial world;
but the difference is that most companies hire sales and marketing
teams.

  I can tell you right now that I'll probably end up deploying some
collaborative map tools using BlazeDS (or one of its similar cousins)
- Why? Because one of adobe's evangelists showed how it could be done
via a blog. Could I do it via.. virtually anything else? Sure but this
works now.. and well basically there's no reason to investigate other
options further. In this case BlazeDS is open source now so no big
deal - but a lot of decisions are made just like this - based off
limited hours/day to do research and so if you find something that
does what you want you go with it.

  - bri

Brian Russo
brian at entropy.net