[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [GRASS-dev] terminology issues in grass7

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Apr 26 18:17:49 PDT 2009

I am wondering whether this should be discussed at osgeo level to
make sure
that we have at least some consistency in terminology used in OSGeo
software stack.

I checked some on-line GIS terminology and category is mostly used in
a different
context so I am curious what are the current vector data layers as
they are called in GRASS6
(with "category set" suggested as a better term) called in other
packages such as QGIS (if they are supported)?
For GRASS7 release there is a unique opportunity to align the
terminology
within OSGeo if there is an interest to do that although most efforts
on terminology
and dictionary tend to die pretty quickly, but maybe we can least
find some
common ground for vector data model,

Helena

http://www.lib.unc.edu/reference/gis/datafinder/glossary.html