[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G2009 to reach those who cannot attend

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Sat Aug 1 07:28:11 EDT 2009

Maning, Massimo, Alex, Ravi,

Thank you all for your kinds offers of help with the LiveDVD. This is
greatly appreciated, will be very valuable, and will also make space for
the overly committed FOSS4G local organising committee to focus on the
other aspects of the FOSS4G conference.

As I see it, this is what needs to be done:
1. Anyone who is interested, please subscribe to the live-dvd email
list, where we can continue the rest of this discussion.

The wiki associated with this project is at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Live_DVD
and
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc

2. We need someone who can continually keep track of the status of the
LiveDVD. Determine what it contains, what package versions are on it,
how much space is being used, what should and should not be on it etc.
This data should be kept up to date in this wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Live_DVD

2b. Revise the LiveDVD schedule, and then track to it.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Schedule

3. The LiveDVD needs to be tested, and make sure that the current, and
any future packages all work together without impacting each other. Any
issues found need to be tracked in the issue tracker.

4. Someone needs to contact all interested parties for the LiveDVD, and
encourage them to provide data or software, or configurations, etc for
the LiveDVD. This includes:
* Workshop and tutorial authors who may want to hand out a DVD at the
conference.
* OSGeo projects already on the LiveDVD, or who want to get on the DVD
* UbuntuGIS, DebianGIS, GISVM, OSGeo4W packaging projects, which have
significant synergies with the LiveDVD
* And any other people who want to help out.

5. Add what ever new packages, linux software, windows installers, etc
to the LiveDVD. This is the technical grunt work.
Note that the packaging projects like DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS are quite
robust, and have been very helpful in getting new people started with
packaging, and many of these people are also on the LiveDVD email list.

Welcome aboard.
I suggest that any volunteers join the live-demo email list, and respond
to this email suggesting how you might want to help.
Cameron Shorter, FOSS4G chair.