[OSGeo-Discuss] OWS Common Python Server. Guidance Required

Sampson, David David.Sampson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Tue Aug 4 09:44:05 EDT 2009

Hey Folks,

I have recently used the OWSLIB library
(http://trac.gispython.org/lab/wiki/OwsLib) for some python based
plugins in QGIS (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qgiscommunitypl/). I am
also involved with PAGC, a public address geocoder project
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pagc/).

OWSLIB made the plugins development a lot smoother and I look forward to
doing some more (mainly to learn about OGC specs)

PAGC is gearing its development towards the OLS (Open Location Service)
spec. [http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/ols]

I am interested in creating a small python server for OLS and
WPS....Python mainly because it is what I know and I believe a good
learning tool. Then I thought I must not be the first to think this.

Recent discussion on the PAGC mailing list suggested the possibility of
having a generic OLS server that can have various modules plugged into
it. For example Geocoding for one and Routing for another.

Then I thought back to the OWSLIB approach where they have an OWS common
module and then separate modules for the specific specs. But I believe
the lib focuses on clients, and not servers.

With the agreement between OSGEO and OGC would there be possible work or
collaboration on creating a base server (python based?) that could be
used to create various servers of all the specs. An easy API approach to
creating OGC services?

I know this might start the language battle, I am thinking of ways of
lowering the educational barrier and provide examples...  Both the C
camp (though providing bindings to a c based lib) and Java camp (by
providing Jython and python bindings) could have their own performance
driven approach.

Perhaps this is already done?

Anyone intrigued?

Cheers