[OSGeo-Discuss] Patent for feature of paper map.

"René A. Enguehard" ahugenerd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:34:14 EDT 2009

I suspect they might be applying for the patent but in for quite a
surprise when it gets rejected. Features for maps would be very tricky
to patent and, more importantly, not in the interest of the general
public. As such the patent applications would probably get rejected.
Would we really want people patenting things like projections, north
arrows, scale bars or legends? I don't think it would be productive and
suspect any patent office in its right mind would see it the same way.

Patents were created to help people protect their ideas for a length of
time so they could reap the rewards of their work and refine it without
fear of being copied or undercut. This works very well for many things
but fails miserably for conceptual things like maps or layouts for books
or posters. This is why many patent offices now require people to patent
"systems" rather than "things". I don't see how a wrap-around map could
be explained as a system.

René
IANAL