[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [postgis-users] pg_routing 1.02

"René A. Enguehard" ahugenerd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:11:57 EDT 2009

Open source software is exactly that: open source. That means you can
take the source and compile it for whichever OS you want, really. For
Windows things get a bit... involved and you might have to use something
like Cygwin, but it IS possible. You should probably get in contact with
David Techer as he would know how exactly to do this regarding pgRouting.

However, you should note that in general people in the open source
community aren't actively trying to discourage using Windows, we just
hate having to do anything with/for Windows and so it is rare to get
Windows binaries. That doesn't mean it's not possible. Porting an open
source application to a new OS take comparatively very little work to a
proprietary application. But it's still a heck of a lot of trouble to go
through for an OS (Windows) which we thoroughly dislike. :)