[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G on Windows

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Aug 6 11:39:17 EDT 2009

It's not a matter of "like" or "not like" it's a matter of "hassle" or
"no hassle". I work on OS/X and Linux, and compiling there is
radically different than compiling on Windows. And while OS/X and
Linux and Solaris have slight system API differences which require a
little working around, Windows can have quite large differences.

So the same level of "noooo!" that applies to a windows person being
asked to install linux software applies to a unix developer being
asked to compile and package on windows. It's a pain -- I am so glad
our developer community includes people like Mark (who can do it) and
Regina (who actually really wants to do it).  The only thing that
would be better would be having a developer who actually uses windows
as their primary development environment, then we'd catch platform
differences in closer to real time.

P.