[OSGeo-Discuss] Patent for feature of paper map.

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Fri Aug 7 13:59:45 EDT 2009

<note>
While I have no absolutely no familiarity with the patent in question, something I've said here before perhaps bears occasional repeating:

Patent and IP law is a very deep and complex subject.  The vast majority of us laypersons are not qualified to read and evaluate patent claims; what is reported in the popular press is often a very watered-down or simplistic interpretation of what is actually being claimed.  Some patent claims do indeed turn out to be riddled through with "obvious" prior art, but in order to really know that typically requires one to be experienced in the field of use *and* have thorough understanding of the legal language used in the claim constructions.

By all means we should all continue to bring down bogus patent attempts, but we in doing so we all need to be careful of making any hasty or unfounded allegations.
</note>

-mpg (ianal)