[OSGeo-Discuss] Patent for feature of paper map.

Brian Russo brian at beruna.org
Fri Aug 7 14:11:58 EDT 2009

Experienced web mapping experts that are also patent lawyers? Good luck
finding one.

(a) A patent may not be obtained though the invention is not identically
disclosed or described as set forth in section
102<http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode35/usc_sec_35_00000102----000-.html>of
this title, if the differences between the subject matter sought to be
patented and the prior art are such that the subject matter as a whole would
have been obvious at the time the invention was made to a person having
ordinary skill in the art to which said subject matter pertains.
Patentability shall not be negatived by the manner in which the invention
was made. [1]

It just says "to a person having ordinary skill in the art". I don't believe
the law is so foolish as to expect everyone to double-dip in their
professions.

1. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_35_00000103----000-.html

- bri