[OSGeo-Discuss] Options for sharing geodata symbology along with WFS?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Aug 14 14:39:58 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 02:22:51PM -0400, Alexandre Leroux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Christopher for your answer. A colleague excluded SLD by telling
> us it only applies to WMS, which, based on your comment, isn't true. The
> OGC website isn't clear on this (I guess we should read deeper). This
> would enable us to generate SLDs with uDig :-)

SLD is a language; at least some non-WMS tools can read SLD, and style
WFS vectors according to it. (OpenLayers can do this; I'm sure that
other client software can as well.) Insofar as such a thing exists,
SLD is the primary standards based way of communicating styling
information regarding a set of data.

Some WMS servers are capable of using SLD as their style descriptions;
I believe both MapServer and GeoServer can do this. However, other
clients can as well.

>>> answers! :-) To my defense for this OSGeo-unrelated question, we do
>>> process and serve all the related geodata using OSGeo software! ;-)
>>
>> Which software?
>
> Since you're asking.. still the same project already mentioned on this
> list: providing Canadian weather information with web maps and standard
> web services. Our (fully working) prototypes use MapFish, OpenLayers
> GDAL/OGR­. (we also use other OSGeo software for other projects)

Hm, I guess my question was unclear; I was curious what software you were
using for WMS/WFS.

GeoServer uses SLD as the primary styling configuration on the server,
for example.

> Cheers,
>
> Alex
> --
> Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
> Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
> Centre météorologique canadien / Canadian Meteorological Centre
> Section de la réponse aux urgences environnementales /
> Environmental Emergency Response Section
> alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca

Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer