[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo friendly countries to live in

Chris Puttick chris.puttick at thehumanjourney.net
Mon Aug 17 02:49:09 EDT 2009

A tad unfair on Capetown I think - much of SA money is in GP, the province with Jo-burg and Pretoria in it and all the big companies; Cape Town and its residents took a lead in ending apartheid; the university appointed Dr Ramphele (a key player in the anti-apartheid struggle) as a Deputy VC in 1991.

What Cape Town does have is a great spread of industries as it has an incredible tourist industry (mix of beauty, surf and Robben Island), strong mining sector and an entrepreneurial culture. Like many places of beauty (and a temperate climate), people with money have tended to move there, and the World Cup (and probably FOSS4G!) boosted interest in property, leading to a booming real estate business.

Now, if you want more Africa, South Africa is not a good destination; Botswana or Ghana are probably more middle of the road in terms of demographics. But it's a very big continent with huge variance. Not sure any country or city is more Africa than another.

Chris