[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo friendly countries to live in

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Thu Aug 20 10:23:25 EDT 2009

Like the subject of patents from a couple weeks ago, we need to be careful of painting
these things with too broad a brush.

> I've got to have MicroStation to work with CALTRANS, AutoCAD to work with my local city,
> ESRI to work with the County's GIS department, and software from LizardTech to use the
> imagery distributed by USDA for my County in MRSID format. To make it even more pleasant,
> AutoDESK breaks its file compatibility every other version or so, which means my company
> gets to purchase a license upgrade if we want to keep dealing with our government clients.
>
> Money talks in United States politics, and I'm sure the big boys in the software development
> throw plenty of greenbacks around when it suits there purpose.

I'm not sure what you mean by this -- lobbying?  Campaign contributions?  Yes, MrSID is widely
used in parts of the federal government but it is certainly not the case that LizardTech has
ever "thrown plenty of greenbacks around" to get anyone to use our file format.  (I doubt the
various owners of ECW ever have either.)

> I'm not saying there is a malicious intent on government agencies to make life difficult.
> But I certainly don't see a widespread effort to embrace open source for its benefits, or
> to look for any alternatives to the widely established monopolies.

In the case of one very prominent use of MrSID in the US federal government, an open standard
solution was explicitly considered as an alternative, but it was notably rejected in large part
because of the lack of penetration and technical expertise in the target marketplace and
ecosystem.

I actually see a lot of explicit government consideration of open standards and open source
software -- and it gets better every year.  However, adoption of new technologies (when done
right!) requires evaluation of a myriad of criteria, only one of which is open access.

-mpg (not speaking officially for LizardTech)