[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo friendly countries to live in

Richard Rupp palousegeo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 13:03:02 EDT 2009

All,

This is a great thought-provoking discussion.

Thinking about the U.S. geodata released in the MrSID format. I think this
may be the best way to show the return on the taxpayers' investment in the
data. The vast majority of citizens don't want to manipulate these datasets;
they only want to view them. The MrSID format with USGS topo maps and USDA
county compressed mosaics makes them available to many more people than a
more open format would.

For those of us who want to manipulate these datasets with our geospatial
OSS, alternatives are available. Perhaps someday there will be a widely
adopted open format that can compete with MrSID but for today the MrSID
option provides for the best access for the largest number of people.

Regards, Richard