[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File Formats and Proprietary Algorithms

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Aug 20 16:22:47 EDT 2009

Eric,

The imagery I am talking about is from the USDA APFO:

This FAQ contains a snippet about the format:

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/apfoapp?area=home&subject=prog&topic=nai

In an interesting turn of events I note that as of 2008, the USDA is
releasing the county mosaics in JP2 format, not in MRSID. I am not sure
what brought about this change, and I wasn't aware that it had been
made. The same web page indicates that there is a shapefile index for
the individual image tiles.

It appears that you can also download the county mosaics online.

A lot of this has changed (improved) in the last couple of years. I'm
glad I checked again. That being said, the principles from our
discussion still apply. :]

Landon

Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268

Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658