[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File Formats and Proprietary Algorithms [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Thu Aug 20 20:14:43 EDT 2009

IMO:

Just another thought on this issue (though we do seem to be recycling arguments over the years...):

Assuming that I have a very large archive of spatial data, be it imagery or any other spatial format and that I store my data in a variety of proprietary formats:

In ten years from now, can I be sure that:

- the company that created, understands, and holds the IP in the
  data format will still be around?

- there will still be software that runs on the then current
  operating environment, that can read and 'fully exploit' the data
  in the proprietary standard?

- that this future software will work seamlessly with my then current
  spatial environment?

- if all of the above risks prove to eventuate, can I be sure that I'll
  be able to salvage my data into another format, retaining its complete
  semantic context?

IMO, it is a high risk proposition to lock public (or private) archives away in proprietary data formats. It makes more sense to use open standards and formats that are publically available.

Bruce Bannerman