[OSGeo-Discuss] Distributed Computing

Henning Lorenz henning.lorenz at geo.uu.se
Fri Aug 21 08:22:48 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Mateusz's email about his unused MacPro brought another question to my
mind (again): Is there interest in a distributed computing
infrastructure for OSGeo. For us Mac users it's rather straight
forward with XGrid if someone can host the server in an environment
that allows for it (see OpenMacGrid at MacResearch.org), for other
unices one would need a person with a good understanding of these
things.

So lets collect some basic information (reply to this thread if the
answer on a question below is yes):
- Would you like to contribute your "waste CPU cycles" to a grid aimed
for OSGeo purposes? (what hardware, operating system)
- Would you utilise such a grid for OSGeo purposes? (what operationg
system requirements do you have)

I myself have lot's of spare CPU cycles on my MacPro (now used by
OpenMacGrid) that I can contribute, but I won't become a user.

Cheers,

Henning
--
Henning Lorenz