[OSGeo-Discuss] Mac Pro collocation for OSGeo

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Aug 21 10:13:50 EDT 2009

Chris Puttick wrote:
> If anyone has a use for it, we can provide space, protected power and
>  a connection

I used to use this machine as a part of http://buildbot.osgeo.org farm.
It could also be used for other purposes, like live demo of
GeoServer/MapServer, nightly builds and binary packaging.

> (probably in our new French office which has more spare bandwidth,
> but we can get it from here to France).

Hmm, France is quite a different location than UK, but thanks for the
offer, if I won't find anything, I could ship my machine to
France, why not ;-)

> Not quite colo quality, but should be enough for while.

I'd prefer to find something for a longer while :-)
Shipping 20kg across Europe several times a year may be expansive.

> We'd have to restrict bandwidth still, so depends what you think it
> would need bandwidth-wise.

Do you mean bandwidth limit or monthly transfer limit?
I'm sure 1mbps of bandwidth is enough.
Uploading/downloading data like backups can take longer
but none of these operation need to be fast for me.
Distributed building/testing is bandwidth efficient as
it does not transfer tons of MB, just a message and some reports,
plus initial checkouts and further updates from repository, of course.

By the way, you could use this machine for your own purposes in the
office, though more disk-oriented than cpu-demanding ones. For instance,
just put a disk and use it as a file server, backup server, etc.
So, the CPU time could be dedicated more to OSGeo jobs.

Anyway, Chris thank you for your offer, Although, let's see if there
would be option in UK.

Best regards,