[OSGeo-Discuss] Mac Pro collocation for OSGeo

Chris Puttick chris.puttick at thehumanjourney.net
Fri Aug 21 10:38:12 EDT 2009

----- "Mateusz Loskot" <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:

> Chris Puttick wrote:
> > If anyone has a use for it, we can provide space, protected power
> and
> >  a connection
>
> I used to use this machine as a part of http://buildbot.osgeo.org
> farm.
> It could also be used for other purposes, like live demo of
> GeoServer/MapServer, nightly builds and binary packaging.
>
> > (probably in our new French office which has more spare bandwidth,
> > but we can get it from here to France).
>
> Hmm, France is quite a different location than UK, but thanks for the
> offer, if I won't find anything, I could ship my machine to
> France, why not ;-)

>From London, Northern France is not so different to most of the UK (travel time, weather, etc.), except the wine is cheaper...

> > Not quite colo quality, but should be enough for while.
>
> I'd prefer to find something for a longer while :-)
> Shipping 20kg across Europe several times a year may be expansive.

A while meaning >1 year, no guarantees after that.

> > We'd have to restrict bandwidth still, so depends what you think it
>
> > would need bandwidth-wise.
>
> Do you mean bandwidth limit or monthly transfer limit?
> I'm sure 1mbps of bandwidth is enough.
> Uploading/downloading data like backups can take longer
> but none of these operation need to be fast for me.
> Distributed building/testing is bandwidth efficient as
> it does not transfer tons of MB, just a message and some reports,
> plus initial checkouts and further updates from repository, of
> course.

Bandwidth limit of 1mbps would be no problem (said office has a 10 mbps fibre).

> By the way, you could use this machine for your own purposes in the
> office, though more disk-oriented than cpu-demanding ones. For
> instance,
> just put a disk and use it as a file server, backup server, etc.
> So, the CPU time could be dedicated more to OSGeo jobs.

All that sort of thing we try to do in the Oxford office - but because of that I'm not sure we can justify sparing bandwidth from there, plus major physical space constraints in the server room.

> Anyway, Chris thank you for your offer, Although, let's see if there
> would be option in UK.

No problem.

Chris

------